Wednesday, May 14, 2008

-SAD

I've worked it out - I think I have Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder.

In this very northerly latitude, as it gets toward the Solstice, the days get longer and longer and longer and longer. Tonight at 6:45 pm while I was driving home there was still full, blazing hot, bright, sunny sunshine, coming down on me from a still rather high angle in the sky.

Background is I had a very busy day, lots of meetings and introducing people to each other and social things to coordinate, but also lots of political things to coordinate, and some of them went better than others (have you ever had the experience of introducing two friends to each other, and you're nuts about both of them so you're really excited for them to meet and you think they'll all be as excited by each other as you are of each of them, but when they meet they each sort of give you a confused look like "Why did you bring me here?" Three meetings in a row were really a lot like that).

So I'm feeling frustrated and vulnerable and like a dork, and I'm driving home from work. And I pull into my street and there are people out walking their dogs and the sun is blazing down on me from a high angle, and I just feel baked and exposed and want to hide. I want it to be dark when I come home from work! I don't want all this light, especially at this freakishly late hour of the evening.

So, I think I have reverse seasonal affective disorder. I do just fine with lots of darkness, and cloud and overcast and rainy days, and even sub-zero cold and blizzards and wintery conditions, but I can't deal with all this sun!

No comments: