Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Furniture Essentials

In my previous apartment, I had a six-seat dining table but no couch or lounge chairs. I lived there for almost two years, and it was fine. I would sit at the table with my feet up on the opposite chair to watch tv, and when people came over we could sit around the table, I even had a couple of dinner parties, and it all worked out quite well. I ended up with better posture, I think, from sitting up straight all the time.

In my current apartment, at the moment, I have a sofa and a comfy chair, but no tables. And you can't manage. I need a place to sit and write, I need somewhere to sit and knit complicated parts of the sock like the heel and the toe, someplace I can have good posture and the work is up closer to where my eyes are. I have a dining table coming to me, and I have a coffee table all picked out for the living room, and I'm even thinking about what I want to put out on the balcony, but right now it's all soft chairs and sitting on the floor. And you can't manage.

So, there you go. The sofa is not an essential piece of furniture, but the six-seat dining table definitely is.

No comments: