Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Up late doing homework

Hi.

I'm actually writing this on my work computer, which I've got hooked up to the modem at home. I have a presentation to give tomorrow at 2pm that's kind of in my head but I haven't even started the PowerPoint yet, and I'm planning some other audiovisual support as well, and I don't really know how long this is going to take to put together.

And then, after that, I have to deliver the first draft of another presentation reviewing highlights of Q3 2008, and that's not even in my head yet, much less in PowerPoint. I've already put it off for two, maybe three meetings - just flat out cancelled one this morning when I was supposed to have it all done. I was going to get up at 5 and do it early this morning, but turned off the alarm and had a disturbing dream about a cat and a dog fighting and trying to get dressed to go to a family dinner, and I woke up at 7:15 and was 15 minutes late to every blessed thing all day long, so there went that plan.

So tonight is the night.

I cancelled my meeting with my trainer tomorrow morning at 6, not because I think I'll still be up then working, but because with him, I end up so thrashed that I go all wobbly for more or less the rest of the day, eyes kind of roll and won't stay open, and I'm sure I seem a bit vague. So I thought, what with the late night I'm looking at, I probably need all my spare energy to be able to present the presentation coherently.

My mom can tell you that for every paper I had to write in high school, I first had to whip myself into a frenzy and then sit on the floor at the end of the couch and cry for a while, and then I could go upstairs and actually get on and do it. Here I am again. Not crying, but certainly finding the prospect of actually turning off the TV (post-debate analysis) and sitting in the corner in my spare room (I've turned on Pandora, the Shins station, to try to make it less lonely and bleak), and setting myself a standard to meet and struggling with the words and communication and getting it all done, and then doing the other one - I would rather do anything else than actually buckle down and do these things.

So, thanks for chatting with me and letting me feel like I've got a friend here with me. It's like studying with your bestest friend in the next study cubicle. When you're ready for a caffeine break, let me know! Just throw a note over the wall and I'll meet you on the stairs.

No comments: