Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sympathy (not Empathy)

  • I've never survived a flood.
  • I've never been in a serious earthquake.
  • I've never been so broke that I had to sleep at work and couldn't afford to buy breakfast or cigarettes.
  • I've never been a smoker, so I've never tried to quit.
  • I never had to cut all ties with a parent for my own self-preservation.
  • I was never a child of divorce.
  • My parents never had any boyfriends or girlfriends that I had to meet.
  • I am not a single parent.
  • I have not raised teenagers.
  • I have never sent a kid off to college.
  • My people have never been nearly eradicated through wartime genocide.
  • Shots never rang out in any street where I lived (a few blocks over sometimes, but not in my actual street).
  • No one was ever burned or shunned or discriminated against or given shock therapy for having the same sexual orientation as me.
  • I have been divorced, near enough, but there were no little kids involved (one kid, his, was pretty big and more or less unaffected by the whole thing), and I wasn't betrayed when he went off with an old girlfriend until a good amount of time afterward.
  • My spouse never worked in another city for an extended period of time.
  • I have never battled cancer (touch wood and thank God on that one).
  • I never worried that my child might be autistic.
  • I've never broken any bones.
  • I've never lost any limbs.
  • I've never been in weather colder than about -20F.
  • I've never had my brain poisoned from a zombie fish chemical.
  • I have, though, had to argue with the government about money. And lost, in the end, in fact.
  • I don't have back problems.
  • I've never turned 50 (I do hope to one day, though).
  • People have died, sure, but never my landlord.
  • My spouse did not die. My kid never had to attend grief camp.
  • I can afford the guitars I want.
  • I don't share custody with anybody.
  • The quarterback of my team who was a beloved hero to me since childhood never retired and then ended up playing for my arch rival team, and then beating us.
  • I never had to sleep in a park because I missed the last train.
  • I don't ever have to listen to the Grateful Dead, if I don't want to.
  • I've never had two jobs at once, much less three.
  • I got to do my degrees full-time, except for the distance computer one which doesn't really count.
  • I have been long-term-unemployed, but am not at the moment. I have been downsized but wasn't this last time. I have worked in a dying industry but don't at the moment.
  • I haven't hit a deer or run my car into the ditch in the snow. Touch wood on that one too.
  • No rheumatoid arthritis yet, vision fine except for middle-aged myopia, hearing pretty good.
  • I never had to kick a smack habit. No hot shot ever killed me, I never overdosed and had to go to the hospital. And this never happened to a partner, although it did to a friend.
  • I did once have quite a bit of weight to lose, but only 20 lbs (9 kilos), and touch wood I've kept it off since.
  • No medical condition prevents me from travelling to high altitudes.
  • I've never had a book manuscript rejected from a publisher (only academic papers and those stopped mattering the minute I left the field).
  • I've never been brought up on sexual harrassment charges or discrimination or fraud or negligence.
  • I've been locked out of cars, houses, work, but never in really bad weather.
  • I've never been stuck in an elevator.
  • I haven't eaten a bad oyster (only good ones).
  • Never had complications during childbirth, or had to rush a sick baby to the emergency room (I visited one though, and sat by until we knew she was okay).
  • Never had a mortgage foreclosed.
  • Never had a dog vomit on me, although I've had plenty of homeless people yell senseless things at me as I passed.
  • Never had a bank error or ATM error, especially not in their favor.
  • Never been mugged.
  • Never been pregnant and had to decide, never caught an STD.
  • Never had a burn large enough that its size was described as being a percentage of my body.
  • I've cried in front of every boss I ever had, but I've never punched a boss.

I don't really understand the difficult things all of you are going through, because the same things haven't happened to me, but I feel for you and send good thoughts.

No comments: