Sunday, October 18, 2009

New Testament Democracy

So did I mention I've been going to church? No, don't worry, I haven't given up my fundamental values and metaphysical beliefs, but it's looking like this will work, coming back to my childhood institution, as a way to connect to my community and be of some benefit to them.

Anyway, so the bit that made me think today was in the Lessons before the sermon. It's a passage from the book of Mark, and this quote is 10:42-44 (is that freaking you out, having Bible passages quoted by chapter and verse here? Well, bear with me, I'm still not sure where all this is going.) :

42Jesus called them together and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 43Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all."

I understand this to be about power relationships in a group of people. And it sounds good to me - that leaders must also serve, and members must also lead. I think that works for work teams, and for groups like churches, and also for giant things like democratic governments of powerful nations. I remember in the conversations before the last federal election in Australia a discussion about reclaiming the Left for Christian politicians - you don't have to be a family-values right wing (highly judgemental, hate-filled and divisive) Christian to be able to use your religious beliefs as a ground for your political service. New Testament Christians actually fit better with the principles of our democracy, that everyone is equally valuable and we should all do what we can to make sure every one of us is okay.

So, see, I already have the Lefty politics part of this, I already believe that stuff. I hope this helps make more sense of this recent strange turn of events in my life.

No comments: