Monday, November 3, 2008

All the daylight has been spent

On Sunday we went off of Daylight Savings Time, and so today was the first evening we all had to leave work in the real, non-daylight adjusted time. I walked out of the building at 5:37 and it was dark, dark. Streetlights on, stars out, pitch black, no rosy glow in the western sky from the sunset, nothing, dark.

Driving home on streets that I could have seen only last week was fairly creepy. And I think it was for every other commuter as well - a long line of red taillights on the freeway, everyone driving aggressively fast and following too close. I think they all looked up from their desks out the windows and had a sudden panic - "I shouldn't be at work now!" And all jumped in their cars at once and headed for home in a rush - "I shouldn't be out! I have to get home!"

Last year when this happened I comforted myself that the solstice was only a month and a bit away, and then it would get better. Ah, but this year I know, after the solstice is when it actually starts to get cold...

No comments: