Saturday, June 21, 2008

Surprised by Powderfinger

I have all kinds of things to blog about, but just now I was listening to my The Vines channel in Pandora, and was unexpectedly caught by the sound of my lost past. The second song to play was "Waiting for the Sun" by Powerderfinger, off their album Odyssey Number Five, which I think was released just as I was moving away.

I hadn't even heard that song before, but the sound of Powderfinger is the sound of Australia.

So much so that when I lived there I didn't even like them and used to turn the radio to a different station when they came on Triple J. A few times when they won first prize in the Triple J annual Australia Day Hot 100 competition, we'd turn off the radio while the winning song was playing.

But here, but here, you don't ever hear Powderfinger. It startled me in its beauty and familiarity. And here I am weeping, from homesickness triggered by a sound. And when you actually give into the homesick feeling and let yourself weep, it actually doesn't feel so bad, the feeling has a round beauty to it.

I miss you, Australia.

No comments: