Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Midnight Festival of the Bullet Point

This time I'm happy and doing this - world first!

  • New web site! A big project got finished and my new web site launched today! It was a long, hard road, and many people seemingly did their best to make sure the project would be unsuccessful, but it's up, and it looks beautiful. I haven't clicked on every single link, which I feel bad about, but I will get to them, and wasn't my boss just telling me I need to trust my suppliers? I was thinking back on how long I've been working on this project, and I think the first time my predecessor said "You're going to have to redesign that web site next year, you should be working on the RFP", I think it was my second or third day there. So, this is a big accomplishment, and should make my life much easier and more normal, hereon in after.
  • I have told the story to a few people today that once in a job interview back in about 1999, someone asked me what I liked about this job, managing web sites, and I knew right away, I said, "Publishing". I said, "I love it when I can email my Mom and say, look at this!" So today represents my favorite thing about my job, because I emailed her right away.
  • Remember the storm I wrote about yesterday? Today there is video online of houses breaking in half and floating away, in flood areas just north of where we were. I was out in it. Much of Wisconsin is a disaster area. Not us, but we were right out in all that rain yesterday.
  • Having just been to such an iconic house, so important to my past and the memories of so many other people (my Grandmother's house, pretty much untouched from what I remember), the sight of houses breaking in half and floating away down a river hits me all the harder. But, as my cousin said on another subject, they are just material things. Your own material things are much harder to lose than someone else's, but they are still just material things.
  • I don't want to go to bed. It's only Monday night, it's past midnight, my typical aim is to wake up at 5:15 and do morning pages, but now I might have sabotaged myself so deeply that I won't even function properly if I sleep until 7. Why am I awake? Excited about the launch, somewhat. Maybe a little bit at sea and wound up from not having masses of stress on me, as I have had for a number of weeks now. Haven't been eating well or exercising, so the usual causes. Have done many things lately and haven't had time to just sit and process - knit, or watch cable all afternoon, or get lost in a New Yorker or a book. So, this weekend.
  • It's my birthday on Thursday but I don't have anything planned. Anything birthday-related. I should just be brave and plan something.
  • Preoccupied.
  • All those sites I check before I can go to bed - what am I looking for? Sydney Morning Herald, including Sam De Brito's blog. Facebook, endlessly. Astrobarry. Free Will Astrology. Salem Tarot. Cute Overload. Sydney (nearly) Daily Photo (although I don't check that one very often any more because it might bring on an attack of homesickness). I check these sites over and over again, refresh, refresh, refresh, every night before I can go to bed, and tonight it carried me way past bed and I'm into the hours of self-sabotage - only Monday and up past midnight on a work night. What am I looking for?
  • Someone to tell me to go to bed, probably. I'll pretend y'all have. So goodnight, sleep well, see you tomorrow.
  • (I'm glad you're all here for a crazy loon that needs to talk, just talk, no matter if anyone is listening or not.)

No comments: