Monday, June 23, 2008

Getting a bit ridiculous

Here are some more things that have made me homesick:

- the little weather widget on my computer that says the temperature in Sydney (currently 15 degrees)
- seeing a shopping bag left over from last Christmas, and thinking, "Ah, yes, it'd be Christmas at home right now," but it's not, of course, what it is is summertime here, about one month into it, which if it were summertime down there would be the end of December.
- the TV series Underworld which my very thoughtful friends taped for me, the whole series, and sent for my birthday. The worst homesickness-making parts are the station announcements for Channel 9 at the start and end of each program. Wish they'd left the ads in too, but they weren't to know how much I'd like them right now.
- lamest one of all - at work I was checking some invoices to make sure they had the right purchase order number on them, and in order to remember the numbers while I looked back and forth between the documents, I broke them down into smaller parts. Our PO numbers have eight digits, and so to remember them I broke them down into two groups of four. Which is exactly the configuration of an Australian telephone number. My brain hadn't processed an eight-digit number in two lots of four since I left Sydney, but just the process of doing it made me realize what it reminded me of and I got all goopy and sad, again.

No comments: