Friday, April 4, 2008

On to something

prologue: When I refer to "the project", I'm talking about a plan I'm hatching that incorporates a study of narrative as the thing that gives meaning to human life, a study of the metaphysics of narrative, a study of the aesthetics of narrative (Aristotle's Poetics and that book by the Story guy), fictional narrative, autobiography, blogging, and a certain element of performance art I expect. I thought of it a few weeks ago when I decided to stop thinking about boys, and I'm making tiny steps of progress, mostly on Friday nights at Barnes & Noble which is where I wrote the entry below.

I must be on to something. Half of the "how to write" books seem to be "how to write your life as a story" books. I wonder how you could find out how many more of those there are now than there used to be a few years ago (one of those stats like they have in the New Yorker).

It's great to be doing a meta-project instead of feeling like I should write a novel. I picked up "How to write a book in a month" (which I must get) and it was great to be a theoretical bird flying above it and thinking about its metaphysics and its place in the culture rather than feeling guilty because I'm not working on a book in a month.

And it's not a book I want, it's all about the project, the journey.

I am a process knitter* of philosophy.

* Debbie Stoller, Stich 'n Bitch, p. 122

No comments: