Friday, April 18, 2008

colour palette

Remember how not all that long ago really my world was a blank white expanse of blankness? Unmelting snow many feet deep on all surfaces to the horizon, sky the same color as the ground, apartment with white walls and beige carpet, a blank white box, an unending expanse of whiteness?

Now, it's different. The transition is not yet complete, but almost. My stuff has always been multi-colored - the books, the albums, the tchotchkes. I have picked up lots of red things recently, for some reason, to punctuate this multi-coloredness - the tea kettle, the microwave, the new desk lamp, my car, my favorite scarf, the laptop case I use as a handbag. My sofa, when it arrives, and the reading chair. And my plan for this room, for the spare bed, is, while I'm spending the decorating funds on other more essential things like filing cabinets and a vacuum cleaner, is to cover this bed with the quilt my Mom made me when I went off to college. The furniture, everywhere, is kind of Mission, and the multi-colors seem to really work with it. My new landscape is Mission-Deco-Nouveau-Modern, with multi-colors, and a jaunty colorful quilt!

No comments: