Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ellen is knitting a sock.

The Knitting Class of Destiny - jonesing for another class in about mid-March, I went to sign up for "Socks on double-pointed needles", but it was already full so I got on the waiting list. They never called so I assumed I had missed out. But I'm scheduled to go to Midwest Masters in two weekends' time, and I wanted to buy the materials before I run out of money this month (bit of furniture buying on the old credit cards, nothing to worry about but requires a bit of timing and planning). So I had put that on my list to do Tuesday night, didn't do it Tuesday, went on Wednesday.

I walked in the shop and there was a big group of people at the table in the front. "Are you joining us?" Nuh, um, I don't... I realize the person asking me is my old teacher, and two of my classmates from Beginner are sitting there. There's an empty chair. "We have room, join us!" How far have you got? "We're just starting, we haven't done anything yet. Pick out some yarn from over there."

There was a chair for me, she had already set out the needles. I hadn't paid any attention to the class dates at all because it looked like I wasn't going to fit. And there I was, walked in the door exactly precisely at the time the class started. Amazing.

So, this weekend, I've been knitting a sock. I got this wool yarn that has a complicated variable pattern of dyes in white, blue, then a sort of green and a sort of browny-pink. It makes stripes and patterns. It looks like it might make a detailed sort of pattern if you were doing something another size, maybe a mitten. Kind of like a fair isle sweater, but not. I love it, love it, love it. The action is relaxing and mesmerizing (I've gone back to throwing because Continental aggravates the problems with my shoulder, elbow and fingers that I had to go to the Physio about the other week, but it looks like throwing does not). And the really addictive part is watching the pattern unfurl under your hands. It's ever surprising, and beautiful, and I love it like a pet or a child - I can imagine looking at another sock and admiring it but this one I feel quite maternal over.

Very excited about my sock.

No comments: