Friday, April 18, 2008

Big Day, Big Week

Today was the day that they came and unfurnished my furnished apartment. It was time. The sight of my own things starting to emerge out of the boxes and decorate the place made me eager to put my stamp on it. Immeasurable thanks to my sister for coming and getting me started. I still have lots to do and get, but I made sure I had the basics necessary for life - flat screen TV, Michael Graves toaster, shower curtain.

The beds arrived in the afternoon. I shopped pretty carefully, although all in one store and on one night, but as a result I have acquired two copies of the most comfortable bed in the world. It's firm, but with a big quilted top. And the individually wrapped spring coils make all the difference. It doesn't rock like a rowboat docked up on choppy seas when you get in it, it just sits there. I don't have a fitful partner sleeping beside me these days (sigh) but even on my own, the stillness and support is just magical. I love my new bed.

Also, this weekend is the first ever Fox Cities Book Festival. Last night they invited us to blog about it, so here I am blogging about it. I've seen two Poet Laureates in two days. There are heaps of event on tomorrow, so maybe I'll write more highlights when those are done. I volunteered at one event which was a great way to meet everyone. I went to see Billy Collins last night at the Lawrence University chapel, which was just amazing. I wanted to press every moment of it in, well, a book, and dry it and preserve it forever, but then I caught myself trapped in this fruitless desire and longing and reminded myself to just enjoy the moments in the moment.

A number of things seem to be going well. I'm doing Morning Pages every morning, very first thing when the alarm goes off, getting up ridiculously early to do them, but they are having the desired effect that I feel like I'm connected with my creative self - all day. Work makes my heart beat faster every day - we get to not only work with but set policy for things like YouTube and blogger outreach. Focussing on the project rather than loneliness is really helping ground my sense of identify. I am not a lack, I am a creative individual. I don't have to panic about meeting like-minded people in Appleton, because once the project is underway and ready to share around, they will be drawn to me because of it. So I can wait. And have work to do.

And I'm getting things I want, which one should stop and recognize when it happens, because it hardly ever happens in waves. Invitations, possibilities of delegation at work that might even delight the person taking it on. Really lovely furniture. No night without a bed - I could coordinate the unfurnishing for the same day as the new bed delivery. And to meet Poet Laureates!

So, here's what's working - Morning Pages, (going to the gym), focussing on the project instead of loneliness, and taking a stance of gratitude.

No comments: