Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pomegranate Cosmopolitan

Much better today! After driving home while it was snowing last night, and driving very, very slowly to work on the snowy streets this morning, and feeling like I was pretty over this whole thing, my day improved substantially with an infusion of vodka. We had a half-day off-site meeting of my whole extended department, about 250 of us, mostly to review the accomplishments of 2007, so I didn't have to do much, just applaud. And then after the meeting four of us went about three doors down to this very nice martini bar. You'd never guess it was there, it was in a strip mall, out on the other side of the freeway, in the middle of nowhere, but the bar was really nice - wood paneling, nice paintings, Frank Sinatra on the stereo, and a vast, vast menu of different sorts of martinis. I went with the Pomegranate Cosmo, with pomegranate vodka, cranberry juice and a bit of triple sec. Very luridly red, and a little bit reminiscent of Campari but with more sugar. The four of us talked mostly about work, and it was good to hear the history of things, and the perspective of people from Promotions and Media, and about some cool things other brands are doing.

It was the first time I've been out for a drink in this town, and I'm so glad. It made driving easier (only one martini, right? and the roads were pretty clear tonight on the way home), and made the town look more beautiful, and when I got home pulling into the garage and unlocking the door and everything seemed easier than it had the night before, and my apartment seemed warmer (although not down by the front door, that seemed colder), and things looked a bit different like when you come back home after a long vacation. Just a little bit of vodka, and some companionship of course, and my perspective has changed!

Oh, I also went to the super-fun first class of Beginning Knitting. Super-fun? There wasn't anything particularly funnish about it that she did, it was just slip knot, cast on, knit, perl. Just exactly what you'd expect. But I love, love, love knitting, and I can't wait to get good and make elaborate cable-knit sweaters and things. So that probably sparkled up my vision of the world a little bit too.

No comments: