Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Home ahead of the storm

I left work at 3pm today because the weather forecast called for rain, then rapidly dropping temperatures, high winds, 3-6" of snow, very low visibility and blizzard-like conditions. Uh-huh.

As I left the office I had my first experience of FZRA . Walking out the door the ground was wet - like, with water, liquid, water-like water - but when I got to my car it was covered in little water droplets that had all frozen. I had to get the scraper out and scrape them all off, and the pavement looked like bubble wrap or really bad rubber flooring because it was also covered with little water droplets that had all frozen.

My knitting class was cancelled. One of the managers at the yarn shop called and left a message on my phone last night to let me know, and here's what she said:

"We want everybody to stay home, and stay safe, and keep knitting, and not be out in what they're saying's gonna be, you know, End of the World weather."

The first time through when she got to the phrase "keep knitting", it sounded like she was assigning homework, that we should stay home but use the time when we would have been in class to keep practicing. But then I realised what she meant was "keep knitting", like, live to knit another day.

Noted.

While I've been writing this, the freezing rain has turned to snow, which is falling horizontally in the high winds, it's starting to stick, and visibility has gone down to about 1/2 a mile. Good to be home. My plan for this evening is to keep knitting!

No comments: