Sunday, January 11, 2009

Anthill

So, in keeping with the New Year's momentum to keep doing the next right thing, I am starting to deal with the boxes that the stereo's in. They have been sitting more or less in the kitchen since early February of last year.

The magnitude of the box problem has been stopping me from commencing this process (see myriad previous posts) but I could have guessed there was something else. I unwrapped a pile of speaker cables and extension cords, and they were dusty from sitting behind the stereo in various houses, and the extension cord was even a bit grimy. And that reminded me of the overall grime that would accumulate in houses with him. Everything in my house here is new (and when I look out the window the whole world is covered in pristine white) but with him every time we moved you'd uncover grime.

And then I found a cardboard package that had been for the dish-scrubber I got when I moved to my new house after it all fell apart. I kept the package so I'd know the brand for getting replacement sponges for the end of the thing. The package has the company address which is in St. Ives, NSW. The dish scrubby thing deteriorated enough that I threw it away rather than move it, but here is the package from when it was new. And that makes me miss New South Wales, and back when it was normal to see Australian addresses on things I bought.

I have the iPod on Shuffle which is perhaps dangerous because there are so many of his albums ripped onto it, but so far nothing too heart-stabbing. The first song up was Mike Ness, "Rest of Our Lives", which has some stuff about loneliness and being apart from one's love, but it's also a straight ahead American traditionalist rockabilly tune, and that's been my obsession all weekend reading all the guitar stuff and working out what direction I want to go in (I keep stumbling across that nexus of country, blues and punk - a Scotty Moore article in Guitarist, an interview with Billy Zoom, the Wikipedia entry on Social Distortion). So that song represents both past and future.

And I found the Magnetic Poetry Kits, remember those? The feature of every hip college student's fridge, a few years back? I opened up the box and just pulled out the first words that caught my eye, and now my fridge says:

blind from yesterday crap

I'll change it once I make a bit more progress, to something more hopeful.

No comments: