Thursday, January 1, 2009

12:05 and feeling much better

I heard from my belovedest loved ones - Mom and Dad on the phone, and my sister on the IM who was hot-tubbing in Antarctica (long story...). And two different Facebook friends were on and IM'd me too.

Watched the SNL DVDs from the 80's and they were way less depressing - my stars were not Robbie Robertson and Jerry Garcia but Duran Duran, the Go Gos, and Mike Meyers as Wayne from Wayne's World with Aerosmith as his special guest. Altogether happier superstars.

I flipped back and forth between NY's coverage, ended up on MSNBC but actually missed east coast midnight and the ball-drop (that was when I was still watching SNL music and was mesmerized by Neil Young's band that had two Les Pauls, one black and one a goldtop - probably fitting in some way that I was ogling guitars instead of counting down to midnight), but then on our local NBC channel they played it again at midnight Central Time so I got to see the whole thing after all. Happy New Year!

The announcer pointed out that 2008 had an extra second added to it, a leap-second, because the earth is rotating too slowly or something (that's what she said, in those words), and she asked us to think about what to do with that extra second. And I knew right away - I would spend it in gratitude, for all the beautiful things about life.

One, Mississippi, thank you beautiful world, Mississippi!

And bring on, bring on, rock on, 2009!

No comments: