Sunday, August 23, 2009

Account managers on the phone

In my last job I was an account manager, and it was my job to always sound delighted when clients called, to always have tons of time for them even if they only paid us a few hundred dollars per month and we were in the midst of a crisis for a client who paid us hundreds of times more, to always act like their work was a high priority ("Yep, it's just in final testing," when in fact we hadn't been able to assign any resources to it yet), and basically to lie to them, all the time, for a living.

Now I'm the client, but I still have a bit of this in my phone manner, and when I get another account manager on the phone with me, especially one who specializes in new business development or sales, it almost gets out of hand. There's so much smarmy bullshit on both ends of the phone, so much saccharine sweetness, that if anyone was listening it it would make their teeth hurt.

I suppose at least I'm not trying to snow you all the time. Pretty much here I say what I think.

No comments: