Sunday, July 13, 2008

Summer colours

Remember that in wintertime my whole world was blank white? And remember the Spring Green colour when the snow finally melted?

Now it's July and the colours have changed. The trees aren't that bright emerald green any more, they're more of a dark, spinachy colour. And when I drove down to Milwaukee on July 3, watching the patches of wheat (I've worked out that it's probably wheat) against those dark trees, the whole world was green and yellow.

I did that same drive with my sister today, only a week later, but the colours are all different again. The wheat fields have turned a brown or rusty red colour. The trees are even darker, in the heat. And beside the highway, all the way down, was an abundance of wildflowers. Big patches of purple clover or varge (my cousin thinks it's varge but I can't pick it at 65 mph yet), yellow stalks of something, white saucers of Queen Anne's lace actually growing wild in the median. It's a festival of delicate colour, set off by tall prairie grass that was rippling in waves in the wind.

What do you suppose Fall is going to be like? I can hardly wrap my mind around it!

No comments: