Sunday, March 2, 2008

Wisconsin Language School

Just now, in an official weather warning that scrolled across the bottom of the TV screen, the phrase "To further complicate things," appeared as part of the official forecast.

Tonight they're predicting rain, turning to freezing rain, then sleet, then snow, so road conditions will be at first icy and then snowy (conveniently, just as I'll be heading to work in the morning). And then, "to further complicate things," they're predicting dense fog in some areas as well.

Right now there's lightning, which is something I haven't seen since I've been here. And I must say, a rollicking good midwestern thunderstorm is, as long as you're tucked cosily inside at home, a thing of real beauty.

p.s. 8:30 pm, sure enough, it's raining outside. I went out on the balcony to see it, and the smell was something familiar and reminiscent - I predict that during my first Wisconsin summer I'm going to have lots of visceral flashback experiences to Grandma and Grandpa's cottage.

This is probably the first event of the spring thaw, although I suspect it's a while yet before it'll really be here.

No comments: