Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rock and Roll self

Way back, Matt Groening published a Life in Hell cartoon that had a way to calculate your life expectancy. Sort of a parody of the Insurance Company actuarial health questionnaires, I guess. I came out losing quite a few years for "wearing sun glasses at night". (My sister, btw, I remember, did not lose points for "have worn leather pants" but did for "have slept with someone who wears leather pants".)

A few years later I was suffering the break-up of my first "significant" relationship - why, it had lasted ten whole months rather than one month as usual (that was the one before the 10-year one that I'm always whinging about here). I remember going and hanging out on my own in the Brisbane CBD, and I remember going to see the movie Reality Bites, and I remember wearing my sunglasses into the movie. I had been hanging out with uniformly geeky Cognitive Science staff members (half Computer Science department, half Psychology), all young academics, all just post-Ph.D., all looking for love. I remember when Kurt Cobain died, they said "Who?" So an important part of my post-breakup new independence was reclaiming my Rock and Roll self. And one manifestation of that was wearing sunglasses in inappropriate places. It made me feel great - tough, independent, rock and roll, confronting, cool.

But, but. Asserting my rock and roll self was borne out of pain and fragility.

And last week, I noticed myself feeling exactly that same way - I was wearing black to work, my long black coat, I had a sort of defiant strut when walking in and out of the building, I left my sunglasses on in the lobby when I came in. It made me feel great - defiant, independent, like I wasn't the same as any bland average corporate worker slugs (not that anyone I work with is like that, but there might be some in the rest of building). I'm sure it was, though, similarly, borne of pain and fragility.

I wonder if all Rock and Rollers are the same?

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hell yes, we are!

I wear my sun glasses all the way in to my desk . . . when the lights are off even.

How do you afford your rock and roll life style?

How can we afford NOT to maintain our rock and roll life style?

Party on, Garth.