Friday, February 1, 2008

OMG! There are knitting books!

I was just over at Barnes & Noble by the mall for a Friday night scone and decaf and a bit of a New Yorker read (it's a lovely place to hang out, by the way, and you overhear some interesting conversations). Before I came home I had a browse around and discovered - OMG - there are such things as knitting books! I didn't buy any, but I'm totally going to go back tomorrow and get them, because I know already I can't live without them and that they will change my life.

The one that caught my eye was "Son of Stitch & Bitch", which is full of patterns for things you can knit for guys. And the things are soooo cool. The argyle scarf on the cover caught my eye initially, but my favourite was a matched set, a hat and sweater, with a pattern all around of red skulls on a black background. This book also had a really cool scarf of black and green stripes but at one end, just very subtly, you could make out the face of a space alien. Can you imagine? And then there was another book with bold graphic patterns that you could work into anything you were making, and my favourite in that one was a sweater in totally 50's pink and black, just a simple cowl neck with 3/4 sleeves, but worked into the front was a two-tone black portrait of Audrey Hepburn. How cool is that! omg, omg.

It got me to thinking, if you do a few skull and Audrey Hepburn projects and get the hang of it, all you need is a bit of graph paper and you could work any pattern you like into a scarf or simple sweater. The Sydney Harbour Bridge. A Hello Kitty cat face. The badgers from the "Badger, Badger, Badger" video. Omg! Can you say "Christmas presents"? Actually, my friends will probably hate me if I start bombarding them with totally weird knitted garments.

I wonder where you can get yarn in space-alien green?

p.s. Actually, I have learned from reading too much on Cute Overload that it is now spelled Oh Em Gee.

No comments: