Monday, December 24, 2007

In Transit, O'Hare Gate F11

Just pulled a pack of tissues out of my pocket. They are part of a 3-pack I got at Target, in fact while killing time before my cousin's concert in Steven's Point (about an hour drive from Appleton). So, these tissues that have been in my pocket for a while are local ones, with a design by the folks that work in the next building over from me, and not the standard dark blue Aussie pack.

As time passes the Australian stuff runs out and gets thrown away - the Aussie shampoo bottle, the Aussie toothpaste, the Aussie tissue packages. Consumables - get consumed, and replaced by local stuff. The fine-grained fabric and texture of everyday life gets more and more local. The evidence of the old home disappears. The same thing happens to your memory - forgot my best friends' phone number and my old post code - and your sense of hot and cold, and eventually your accent.

Human beings are permeable, and end up saturated in their local environment.

No comments: