Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's not like they can run a background check for it

Reading the Women's Health part of About.com, on symptoms of perimenopause.

Due to reduced estrogen levels, the body faces challenges regulating temperature. Check. Have been finding myself turning the air conditioning in my car on and off every three minutes or so all summer, and this weekend I kept feeling feverish and worried I had the swine flu.

Mood swings. Absolutely. I feel like I'm 13 years old again - bloated, grumpy, sensing an imaginary audience watching me at all times and judging everything I do not good enough. Speaking of which...

Weight gain around the waist. I was doing so well for so long, without even trying, but now I'm my fat teenaged dumpy awkward out of shape self again.

Memory lapses. Big time. Trouble concentrating? That too. Especially anything with a number or someone's name in it. Or driving directions. Or what I was about to do on the computer, before I started checking my email. Or what day it is.

Reading glasses and hot flashes and memory lapses are not very rock and roll. Perhaps I will invent a drug-fucked past, and blame it all on my really heavy smack habit I had back in the 80's.

No comments: