Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bridge going up

I've been driving over the bridges between Neenah, Doty Island and Menasha for a year and a half now. It's a great drive, very scenic, through some historic townships that have their own particular look and feel, and that were the foundation of the paper industry in which I'm here to work. I remember doing that drive and imagining visitors from Australia with me, showing it to them as an example of the way this place looks.

The bridges are kind of rough, some with metal grates and all with a metal split in the pavement. They have towers at all four sides, and railings. They are designed to split and raise up to let water traffic go through.

But until this day I had never seen any of these divided bridges actually split. I was driving north on the 114, coming from a bridal shower for a work colleague that at a house near the lake in Neenah, and the traffic was stopped by traffic lights and lowering booms, much as you'd get at a rail crossing. And the road before me started to lift up. It went up until it was basically vertical. I was a few cars back and whatever water vessel was passing was pretty low, so I didn't get a look at what we were stopping to let pass at all. Then it slowly went down, and the lights stopped flashing, and the booms went up, and we all continued on our way. First time.

1 comment:

David Pablo Cohn said...

One of the things I love most about Seattle is the many drawbridges (I've heard it quoted that Seattle has more drawbridges than any other city in the US - must check wikipedia to make sure it's true :).

And they're always in use - up, down, klaxon blowing as the ships go through - it's an important part of the city for me.